Follow Us

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Fantastic Plastic Journey Begins


Actually, it started when I was in second grade. My folks got me a 1985 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 1/8 scale model kit by Monogram. I had no concept of scale models and scale modeling that time and I was a bit disappointed to have gotten a toy car that I had to put together myself. I eventually figured it out but without proper guidance and tools, I messed it up big time. I only had access to industrial-grade rubber cement and that was the only other adhesive I've known then other than Elmer's glue, which I've learned isn't really suitable for plastic model kits.





Fast forward to two thousand and eight in Singapore. Essentially deprived of access to cool toys during most of my childhood (I'm not really complaining here, my folks did their best :D), I was browsing though the toy section of one of the malls here and there it was, in one big pile of reduced price items a 1/100 LH-GAT-X103 Hail Buster Gundam scale model kit by Bandai. This is the kit that started me with collecting. At this point, I still had the impression that these things were "toys" but as I went along, I've come to realize that they're a lot more than that. I really wasn't the type of collector who needed to have it all, just the ones I REALLY like (but I really don't mind if I did get all of them :D).


I wasn't really "informed" in Gundam lore but I did acquire most of the anime related to it hoping to "educate" myself slowly. It's quite an extensive collection of animated features which started in 1979 all the way up to the present, so it's really too much to take it all in in one sitting. At first I just satisfied myself in building the kits but eventually I experimented with painting my kits and making them my own. Other than Gundam kits I've been looking into military model making as well and I've acquired a couple of military aircraft model kits, still unbuilt. I'll be posting here the results of my experiments as I work on them and finally the finished kits. This will be the chronicle of my fantastic plastic journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment